C is for Container

I’m so excited to have gotten back into the schooling habit since the new year. The fall months of last year became just crazy busy with my business, the move, and the holidays. But I’ve finally set aside a few hours each week to plan and prep for preschool week. Ironically enough, it seems as though I prep MUCH longer than we actually “school”….but I suppose that might be normal…

Anyway, I’m trying to stick to the alphabet in order this time, as last fall I was going in order of themes. I’m still doing themes, but I’m doing them based on the alphabet rather than holidays or seasons.

Since I’m a little bit behind on documenting we’ll just start with what we did last week…the letter C for containers.

When I first saw the “container” theme in my book, I wasn’t super-impressed with the theme. But as I started reading through it and looking on Pinterest, i realized that this might be pretty fun after all! Because kids love containers…and my recycle bin was full…

 

First we started with Ziplock bag painting. Once we were done with our art, I hung these bags on the window in the girls' room. They looked so pretty when the light shown through them!
First we started with Ziplock bag painting. Once we were done with our art, I hung these bags on the window in the girls’ room. They looked so pretty when the light shown through them!

IMG_1695

Then we made some butter using a recycled glass jar and some heavy whipping cream. (This took a LOT longer than I expected it too....apparently to get butter you have to really REALLY shake that jar for a LONG time! I finally added a washed rock to it to help speed up the process and that did the trick!)
Then we made some butter using a recycled glass jar and some heavy whipping cream. (This took a LOT longer than I expected it too….apparently to get butter you have to really REALLY shake that jar for a LONG time! I finally added a washed rock to it to help speed up the process and that did the trick!)

IMG_1698IMG_1699

Next I made up a simple bulletin board. The boarder I got from the Dollar Tree. Then I used construction paper of different colors to draw different types of containers. I then cut them out at with the black construction paper at the same time. My preschooler then had to match the outline with the container. She nailed it, first try!
Next I made up a simple bulletin board. I got the Sesame Street boarder from the Dollar Tree (love their educational aisle!). Then I used construction paper of different colors to draw different types of containers. I then cut them out at with the black construction paper at the same time. My preschooler then had to match the outline with the container. She nailed it, first try!
I also got this recycling activity from the Dollar tree. It came with 2 sheets of stickers and she had to figure out if the sticker was compost, plastic, aluminum, or cardboard/paper.
I also got this recycling activity from the Dollar tree. It came with 2 sheets of stickers and she had to figure out if the sticker was compost, plastic, aluminum, or cardboard/paper.

IMG_1722

The girls LOVED this one! We made guitars out of recycled milk jugs.
The girls LOVED this one! We made guitars out of recycled milk jugs. I cut the holes out and they got to decorate with markers and stickers.
Then I filled up their "sensory bin" (aka a rubbermaid container) with old beans and peas and some recycled containers. This was immensely entertaining! My kids aren't very good at playing by themselves, but they managed to for quite some time with this bin!
Then I filled up their “sensory bin” (aka a rubbermaid container) with old beans and peas and some recycled containers. This was immensely entertaining! My kids aren’t very good at playing by themselves, but they managed to for quite some time with this bin!

IMG_1731

IMG_1735

Next, we made Witches Brew for our science experiment. I'm finding out quickly that about 1/2 of preschool science experiments seem to involve bakings soda and vinegar. Thus, I keep massive amounts of it on hand! This experiment used food coloring, dish soap, baking soda, and vinegar. You fill a jar 1/2 way with vinegar, a squirt of dish soap, and whatever color you want to start off with. Then you add your scoop of baking soda and stir until it bubbles over. I had some containers of already mixed food dyes with vinegar. I keep adding a scoop of baking soda and a little vinegar/color mixture so that it continuously bubbled over. The girls loved it!
Next, we made Witches Brew for our science experiment. I’m finding out quickly that about 1/2 of preschool science experiments seem to involve bakings soda and vinegar. Thus, I keep massive amounts of it on hand! This experiment used food coloring, dish soap, baking soda, and vinegar. You fill a jar 1/2 way with vinegar, a squirt of dish soap, and whatever color you want to start off with. Then you add your scoop of baking soda and stir until it bubbles over. I had some containers of already mixed food dyes with vinegar. I keep adding a scoop of baking soda and a little vinegar/color mixture so that it continuously bubbled over. The girls loved it!

IMG_1737

For more ideas on the letter C, check out Pinterest board!

Follow Jesse’s board Container preschool theme on Pinterest.